As I normally rave about RPI-CLONE – I thought I’d share the dirty laundry this time.
** Update Jan 13 2019
It seems pretty obvious in hind-sight that the issues I was having below were power supply related and one bad SD card. I’ve just finished my 7th successful backup-clone since removing the intermediate battery pack to the Pi and shortening the USB lead. I neglected to note that I’d recently added an Amazon Echo generation 2 DOT into the mix. It is possible that is relevant. Good timing as I’ve just moved to Blynk local server and cracked ESP8266 host names on Windows and I do NOT want to lose that.
** end of update
I have backed up both Pi 2 and Pi 3 hundreds of times, generally without issue, but the last few days I’ve had some cloning problems – generally along the lines of failure – read-only.
Here is a photo of one of my Pi3 units – 192.168.14.70 – the main controller sits at 192.168.14.71 but is otherwise identical).
Incidentally, don’t make the mistake I did and fit an OLED up permanently to the PI. The digits on this 128×32 display are already starting to fade after less than a month of constant use. I suggest turning the display on only when needed. I had the same issue with a pair of NanoPi units I left running in Spain, after 3 months the OLED displays were all but shot. These are typical OLED displays you’d find cheaply on Ebay or AliExpress for example. But I digress.
This Pi (and my main Pi) are kitted out with Raspbian and the contents of “the script” and control real world stuff via Node-Red and MQTT (not a lot as I’m still setting up the UK).
Here is the screen output of a successful backup/clone using:
sudo rpi-clone –f –U sda
A variation of the above misses out the –f flag for SDs which have already backed up the same master (i.e. partitions are the same).
Above I backed up an 8GB working master to a 16GB card. A similar backup to a 32GB card (all Sandisk or Samsung, no rubbish) then failed with a read-only message. I wiped the partial clone files in /mnt and rebooted.
I then cloned the 16GB SD to the original 8GB without the –f flag (which took very little time as almost no changes) and this worked perfectly.
Over the weekend after NYE, I saw the kind of error we saw on the 32GB version above a few times but a retry usually got it, occasionally I’ve had to bin the SD as I no longer trust it. It isn’t as yet entirely clear why this happens after several months of no issues so comments invited. I don’t THINK it is power supply related as these two boards have been backed up countless times in identical circumstances. I do backups before any updates, particularly to Node-Red which has a habit of trashing my nodes. A few days later, I’m having no issues at all, back to normal, it seems.
Which makes it all the more concerning when I get a day like at the weekend where backups were failing en-masse.