I recently wrote (in here) about the Teckin SP23 (for British plugs and sockets) Smart Socket and commented that whether this ends well or not will depend on the company. Well, they’ve just written back to me (Nov 4, 2019). It would seem they have binned power monitoring on this product and adjusted the capacity claim for the UK to 13A. It seems also that the chipset has been changed. So basically you are looking at just another smart socket so I guess it is all down to price as to whether or not you use these. Anything about power monitoring below this paragraph is historical. I would also warn potential purchasers that until they change the name of this product, because of changes over time and our inability as users to be sure what we are getting, the best way to describe the CURRENT product is “not fit for purpose”.
Theirs is a pretty normal looking smart socket – as usual without any nice surprises – but it DOES have power monitoring. As techies most of you will likely NOT be interested in the standard off-the-shelf software involving yet another cloud and yet another APP… I chose Tasmota as it is one of the best replacement firmware for these kinds of sockets (current questions over exceptions pending) – if not THE best… however, due to a manufacturing change in the latest versions of the socket which I received, the power monitoring doesn’t work. However, button, LED and relay work perfectly.
I’ve checked with the Tasmota support forum – this is due to a change of port usage and the current Tasmota port mapping template for the SP23 no longer works.
This is the result of an all day session with Mr Shark AKA Antonio, with me in my office in the freezing wastes of the Northeast of England and Antonio at work in Italy. Warning – this is VERY technical – the original notes were those which Antonio gave me to help me convert the device to Tasmota – at this point 90% successully – it all works but no power monitoring. We don’t know how to sort that out right now.
To use Tuya convert on the Teckin SP23 you need a spare Raspberry Pi (or borrow your only one, temporarily inserting a new MicroSD card. You should start with a fresh install of raspbian Buster Lite (I tried using my existing setup – too much activity).
You need a Raspberry Pi to set up Tuya-Convert.. grab the minimal Buster from the Raspberry Pi site and install on the Pi using, say, the free balenaEtcher program. While the SD is still in your PC (after installing Buster, remove and reinsert the SD into your PC and you will see the boot partition). You should put an empty text file in the boot “drive” called merely “ssh” without the quotes. Remove the SD and put it in the RPi.Turn the RPi on. I used an RPi 3.
sudo apt-get install -y git
git clone https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert.git
Open two SSH terminals on your PC as user Pi on thr RPi. I use MobaXTerm for that. On the first terminal do this…
Press YES. Connect your mobile phone WIFI to access point vtrust-flash which should become available. Use password “flashmeifyoucan” without the quotes.
On the second terminal..
tail -f *log
Back on terminal one, press ENTER and wait for the prompt. You can watch progress on terminal TWO… When terminal ONE returns to the prompt, you’ve done the first step of the hack, now to flash Tasmota.
In terminal ONE you should see something like:
Getting Info from IoT-device
(c) VTRUST GMBH https://www.vtrust.de/35c3/
READ FLASH: http://10.42.42.42/backup
FlashMode: 1M DOUT @ 40MHz
Active Userspace: user2 0x81000
If it is NOT saying “Active Userspace: user2 0x81000 then you need an intermediate step – the following – to be pasted into terminal ONE…
If you DO see the above “Active Userspace” etc., skip to step 3 on terminal ONE.
Monitor what is happening on terminal TWO.
At this point the hack is complete and you should see a “SONOFF-XXX” WiFi access point on your phone, connect to it, navigate to 192.168.4.1 and use the web interface to connect the device to your WiFi network. Be sure to enter the correct ssid and password for your access point. You can always change it later.
Now you can update to the latest firmware in the normal way, for example, this URL for the 2.3.0-based minimal firmware.. http://thehackbox.org/tasmota/release/sonoff-minimal.bin
For the full release – this – http://thehackbox.org/tasmota/sonoff.bin
You could look for a Tasmota template for the device… https://blakadder.github.io/
Now to to your Tasmotized device web page, other, configuration, paste in the template in the top text box, check ACTIVATE, remove any password from the password field and press SAVE.