With so many smart switches and sockets out there, how do you differentiate your product? It looks like Blitzwolf have done just that. Small enough to fit inside a back-box and comes complete with a detachable clip–on bracket – the BlitzWolf BW-SS5 1 Gang/2 Gang Two Way 10A 2300W WIFI Smart Switch at first glance has a future in my home.
This Blitzwolf power switching device handles 10A (2300w MAX non-inductive) at 110-240v and runs on 2.4Ghz WiFi. On the bottom are 6 connections with corresponding screws on the front panel. Live, Neutral in, two relay-switched-live outputs and two button inputs. There are no internal test buttons as this unit is intended for out of sight use but you could use one or two switches – beware however that the connections are wired to the mains – don’t ever touch the connections while this unit is live.
The (multi-language – English, French, German, Italian and Chinese) manual of course states that installation should be carried out by a qualified electrician – so I guess that excludes those of us who’ve been working in electronics for half a century or more, wired up hundreds of smart home devices but never became electricians 🙂
The BW-SS5 does of course work with the “Blitzwolf” app out of the box if you want to go down that route (pairing takes seconds), but also works with Tasmota – and here is the template from the Blakadder site. But read on…
And here is the wiring straight from the little booklet that comes with the BW-SS5.
But I have a couple of gripes about this neat little device is: I hate this practice of using the same name for two different products – remember the Blitzwolf BP-SHP10 I wrote about ages ago (the link takes you to that article)…. that device was supposed to have power monitoring – it turned out there were two different versions – one HAD power monitoring, the other did not. The ONLY difference between the two was/is the barcode on the box (who keeps boxes).
Well, they’ve almost done it again, there are TWO BW-SS5 units and again the only differences are the bar code area on the box and (according to subscriber Marko), a variation in the labelling on the crew teminals. Otherwise, my BW-SS5 SINGLE-GANG unit looks just like the DUAL gang version. The give-away came when I plugged the unit into 220v, switched it off and on 5 times as per the instructions and “paired” it with the Blitzwolf APP (during which time a little light appears – one you never see after that – I’d rather have it show when the relay is on).
Before anyone says – “this unit is intended for use in a box – why would it need a LED?” – after 9 months away from Spain, partly thanks to Covid, earlier this week I had my wife giving me ear-ache as to why our hot-tub wasn’t working. I had no idea so I went into the fuse-box in desperation only to find inside a Sonoff BASIC which I’d set last year (and forgotten about) to work only during off-peak hours. A quick push of the Sonoff button and the red light told me that all was well.
Instead of TWO on-screen buttons on the APP once I’d set it up for the BW-SS5, there was ONE. And THEN I took a close look at the box. The bar code label says “1-gang”. So, see that image above, about the BW-SS5 2-gang switch and Tasmota – I’m wondering if that is compatible with my single-gang BW-SS5.
My trusty TUYA-CONVERT combo of Orange-Pi ZERO and ESP8266 is set up for my UK network – which has a different subnet to the one here in Spain so with help from Antonio I just added the UK network into the setup here.
Tuya-convert would NOT work for me on this board and initially, several attempts at flashing using the soldering iron failed. The unit did, however, still pair with the Blitzwolf APP without issue.
Initially I tried and failed to solder the 3v3 pad as it is right next to the relay. I eventually got power and ground from underneath (the regulator – big pads) none of which helped with my programming efforts at first – that is until simultaneously I was trying out my new Daniu PX-998 (name says Hanstar PX-998 on the box) soldering iron and some cheap non-lead-free solder – and reading the comment (plus photo) in here by blog subscriber “marko”.
Armed with this new information, I had another attempt at soldering 3v3, gnd, rx, tx and gpio0 as suggested by Marko – then using the latest Tasmotizer-1.1c.exe (in Windows) I successfully flashed Tasmota onto the BW-SS5 – NO PROBLEM. I honestly have no idea where the turning point occurred but it all just worked (Mr Shark – Antonio) had already suggested I needed the latest Tasmota) and now I have a more or less perfect, Tasmotized single-channel BW-SS5.
By “more or less” I mean that right now the two switch contacts (S1 and S1) do nothing but that’s probably a minor issue in the template – I’ll delete this para when it is fixed.
Oh, one last tiny thing – the BW-SS5. Sitting in my darkened office here in sunny Spain, my desk is around 29c. After I plugged the BW-SS5 into the 220v mains supply – with no load connected, I left it to sit for 10 minutes while updating this blog – its temperature at the end of that was 36c.