I have a couple of cheap Sinilink 30mm by 46mm boards based on ESP-12 modules which take variable voltage ranging 5v-36v DC and can supply several amps out.
Now if you are wondering what a “Sinilink” board is – I urge you to take a look at this earlier blog entry. The subject of this blog entry is not cased and is very cheap (if you put to one side the current transport issues thanks to Covid (and a spot of opportunism)
See on the right image above, the 6-hole connector on the underside, if hole 1 was at the bottom, 2 is tx, 3 is rx, 4 is GPIO0 – i.e. the programming pin. That and power from 5v or more (max 36v) is all you need to program the board with Tasmota. I was about to stick 3 pins in there along with power and ground when I decided I could do the lot with Tuya-convert and no wiring. Investing an Orange-Pi-Zero and Wemos-D1 in a Tuya- convert setup was one of my smarter moves of the year and has programmed many boards.
There is of course a Sinilink APP for Apple and a link for an Android app… but do we really want to go down that route? Good to start the ball rolling I guess… I grabbed the VERY-slow-to-download Android app. The English was attrocious and I could not get the device to pair despite it “flashing 4 times then a gap and repeat” as per instructions. All the app would say is “in the request” repeatedly. After several attempts it connected – shortening the name Ig ave it which was “michael”, to “Micha”. At this point the blue light on the device was flashing regularly. So, I power cycled the device…. no further forward.
So, power up and the board auto entered pairing mode – I powered up my Tuya-convert unit and within seconds I should have had a Tasmota-compatible XY-WFMS but that would not work either.
Finally I went for the old standby – flashing. After several attempts there was no sign of the device flashing then eventually it did – but the outcome of that should have been a new SSID on the device itself at which point the normal procedure would be to get the mobile phone to use that SSID and find a web page at 192.168.4.1 – and inform THAT page about my WIFI ssid and password along with MQTT credentials and other optional information such as Alexa name etc but the unit did not create a local SSID.
By now I was beginning to suspect my wiring. In the end I think I had a duff board as the second board programmed perfectly by simply soldering to the ESP-12 sub-module, supplying tx, tx, gpio0, ground and 3v3 from my normal FTDI.
The template here for Tasmota works perfectly and of course, if needed it would be easy to add a temperature sensor.
So ultimately happy, I’m just glad these were cheap as the first one is now in the bin. It IS rather handy needing just one power supply for both the ESP and the load.. shame they’d not fitted 3 MOSFETS – would have been handy for 12v RGB strip but I guess 2 more connectors and some more heatsinking….