I’m so excited about this so I’ll dive straight in. The company is called ATHOM and they make smart sockets and lights pro-programmed with TASMOTA. I took the smartsocket out of the box, plugged it into the mains, told my phone to look for access points and it found “tasmota_D3F950-6480”.
I pointed the phone to that access point and looked at website 192.168.4.1 using my phone web browser.
If you’ve never used the freely available Tasmota firmware before, this is the standard address for setup. On that page I entered my normal (2.4Ghz) WiFi access point and password and gave the socket a new “Hostname” – “Athom-1”. In common with most if nor all other devices out there, 5Ghz WiF is not suported. I don;t know why.
So what’s new about this? Nothing except that this is the simplest smartsocket setup I’ve ever done – no messing about removing cloud controls, no APP, SIMPLES. Within seconds, on my PC, at the address “http://athom1.broadband” the new power monitoring socket appeared, ready to go.
If manufacturers were not so keen on pushing their cloud offerings down our throats, it would ALWAYS be this easy. As for the voltage reading (below) I can see some calibration coming on if I want to use power monitoring – but that is all described over at Theo Arends’s Tasmota site –
Backlog VoltageSet <voltage>; CurrentSet <current>; PowerSet <wattage>
See above where it says “Console” in the image. I just entered “voltageSet 244” – because, believe it or not, my handy meter says that’s what I’m getting right now here in rural Spain. Anyone interested in calibrating such sockets might wish to look here.
I also received in the post the Athom 7W RGBWW E27 lamp – JUST as easy – I plugged the lamp into a handy socket, turned it on and – white light. I asked my phone to go looking for access points and “tasmota_D3FB8D-7053” appeared. I did the same again – pointed the phone to that access point, went to the page at 192.168.4.1 and punched in my normal access point details along with a new name for the lamp (now called athom7w).
No template to set up – all pre-programmed. I’m impressed. AND the whites are good – a nice bright white from cold (6000k) to quite warm (3000K) – and the usual range of full RGB colours. With a total power consumption of 7W this gives a decent amount of light out, but as I update this blog, I’m also testing the 15w version – see update at the end. In common with just about all other RGB lights of this wattage I’d describe the whites as bright but the colours as more “decorative” (not that I’m complaining). I’d really like to see something with maybe 9w per colour but no doubt that would greatly increase the cost.. the RGB colour of this lamp however beats the pants off the “AWOW” lamps you will see around.
While not particularly recommending AliExpress, here is the Athom Store within it.
Update april 2021
Meanwhile – as well as the voltageset and other settings I mentioned above (for the smartsocket) – if you want dusk and dawn use, go into the Tasmota console and fill in: Longitude x and latitude y where x and y are your longitude and latitude from Google maps… this info is non-voltatile. I needed this and I put in a timezone value so I could use the 16 internal timers in Tasmota (i.e. 8 on, 8 off). NOT setting the timezone (+2 for Spain) had me going for hours. My thanks to sfromis, barbudor and others in the TASMOTA DISCORD channel (under “beginners”). The Tasmota on my Athom socket was old – v8.5 – I’ve upgraded it to 184.108.40.206 (Leslie) (development) by locally loading the MINIMAL version of Tasmota then going for the full OTA upgrade minutes later.
Update May 18, 2021
The 15W version of the pre-Tasmota’d lamp finally arrived and it looks like my comments about updating have been noted. The lamp worked out of the box with Tasmota 220.127.116.11 pre-installed. As usual I told my phone to look for an access point beginning in “tasmota” – it did that and the WiFi is then EASILY set up, pointing the phone firstly to use that access point then the phone browser to look at address 192.168.4.1
Once the lamp was running on my WiFi (I named it “athom15w” on the WiFi setup screen) I could access it in my PC browser as “http://athom15w.lan” – that suffix will depend on your router. The first thing I then did was to use the WebUI to simply OTA upgrade the firmware to the current Tasmota dev version 18.104.22.168. I then went to the MQTT and OTHER setup pages respectively to get MQTT and Alexa access.
Having told Alexa to “set athom15w to red” only to be told “athom15w doean’t support that”, I was a tad concerned. I’d set the Tasmota webUI Alexa interface to the wrong device – “Belkin Wemo” intead of “Philips Hue”. My fault, soon rectified. The (large) lamp was now working, bright and fully updated, no problem. I’ll have more.
You might find my tinkering at the webUI console useful. The time was an hour out. I checked timezone – changed to +2 and set longitude and latitude while I was on.
Tasmota timers (16 of them) can be set to work at fixed times also sunrise and sunset – but you need timezone and long/lat set for all of that to work properly – these are all non-volatile values. The timers do day of the week but no months etc so Node-Red-Contrib-Bigtimer isn’t out of a job yet. I’ve since done all of this to the “athom7w” light again in it’s webUI console without issue. I use BigTimer for this stuff but others may find this handy.